Geauga Lake: Today & Forever
 

   Geauga Lake History

   1952
    Geauga Lake suffers a huge fire as the bowling alley, roller rink, and much of the dance hall are destroyed. The carousel's band organ was stored in this building and was also destroyed. Total damage was $500,000.

    1955
    
Several new kiddie rides were added.

    1960's
     The Scrambler, Flying Cages, Giant Slide, Paratrooper, and Round Up were added during this decade. New skeeball alleys and food buildings were added in 1967.

    1968
     Earl Gascoigne, Gaspar Lococo, and M.P. Jacobson, three managers that helped revitalized Cedar Point, go on their own and purchase Geauga Lake. They form a new public company, Funtime Inc., and sold $5 million in stock to acquire the park and adjacent property. One of the first accomplishments was the leasing of 25 acres to Sea World to build their park.

     1969
     First new ride under Funtime was the Parkview Express, a $250,000 monorail from Universal Design.

     1970
     The Himalaya and Spider were added.

     1971
     
The Wharf restaurant was added.

     1972
     The park expands into undeveloped, wooded land past the old swimming pool with the addition of the Gold Rush log flume, featuring a 42-foot hill and the Merrie Oldies antique cars.

Previous Page/Page 3